March Is Poison Prevention Month for Pets
We all love animals. But sometimes keeping a pet in your home is not an easy task. Because of their small body stature, pets are prone to poisoning and toxicities of many household products. Even some human foods can also prove fatal for them. Therefore, the National Safety Council in America used March for awareness of poisoning in pets. March Is Poison Prevention Month for pets, so if you are a pet owner, you must know these poisonous substances to keep your pet safe.
Common Household Poisons for Cats
Many products of our household use can be toxic to pets, even in small concentrations. Some of these products include:
The ASPCA has a long list of human foods that can be toxic for cats. Some of these foods are toxic in small amounts. These foods include alcohols, baked products having yeast extracts, chocolates, caffeinated beverages, citrus fruits, coconut water, nuts, raw eggs, undercooked meat, raw fish or liver, and gums or candies containing xylitol. All these foods can cause vomiting, digestive imbalance, or even death if ingested in a large amount.
Plants can cause local skin infections or systemic toxicity if ingested by cats. These house plants that can be poisonous for cats include Amaryllis, Chrysanthemum, Daffodils, Hyacinth, Lilies, Spanish thyme, Yews, Tulips, Oleander, etc. Every plant poisonous for cats contains a different chemical that metabolizes and produces toxins in their body. The daffodils have lycorine, which can cause respiratory failure if ingested in high doses. Lilies are so potently toxic that cats can die even after drinking water from the pot of lilies.
Cats are curious creatures, and they lick or ingest any little thing they come across. Therefore, the medicine toxicity is common in cats. Some common drugs toxics for cats include Acetaminophen, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Antidepressants, Urinary Medication, Sleep Aids, Beta-Blocker, Thyroid Hormones, and Cholesterol Medications.
The common anti-freezing agents are ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. Cats can lick or ingest them because of their sweet tastes. However, these chemicals are highly toxic, even in very little concentration. These chemicals metabolize in a cat's liver into alcoholic dehydrogenases and aldehydes. These metabolites cause liver and kidney failure in cats instantly.
Ways to Keep Your Cats from Being Poisoned
This month is an opportunity for pet parents to learn how to manage pet health emergencies. Many pet care societies like ASPCA conduct many events to make people aware of the ways to protect their pets.
KEEP TOXIC SUBSTANCES OUT OF REACH:
Cat love to jump, climb, and touch every object they find interesting. If you have a pet cat, you must avoid keeping medicines and chemicals on open counters. Try to keep all the potentially poisonous objects in cabinets and locked places where your cat can't reach or lick them. Avoid keeping indoor plants that are harmful to cats.
Taking care of a cat is no less than taking care of a baby. It is necessary to observe what your cat is playing. Cats love to play with boxes and tins of chemicals and foods. They can lick any harmful substance.
SEEK VETERINARY CARE:
If you observe your cat licking or eating any toxic material, act immediately. Do not ignore if you see any signs of respiratory distress, vomiting, or tremors in your cats. Take help from a professional.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMIT:
Sometimes people try to induce vomiting in emergency conditions. This induced vomit does more harm than good. The acid in the stomach of cats, when returned, cause ulcers and erosions in the whole GIT. Avoid inducing vomit and take your cat to a vet.
March is Poison Prevention Month for pets, and the pets most susceptible to these toxicities are cats. Cats have smaller body weights, and a tiny amount of poisonous product can prove fatal for them. Therefore, as a cat parent, make sure you keep these household products away from the reach of your little pet friends.